An homage to my late grandfather, Mr. Wan Yao Huang whose publications include "The Reminiscences of Mr. Wan Yao Huang".

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Haleakala ascent, part 2

Just inside the park entrance.

Self-portrait as Kei and Howie had to leave me if they want any hope of summiting before time expires (we have to return the bikes by 4pm).

It's pretty cold now and I'm going to don some arm warmers. Weather at the beginning of the ride was perfect. You could see the summit from sea level (first time I've been able to; the rest of the days the lower mtn has been covered by clouds).

The climbing is getting (has been) pretty brutal and Kei pushed me up a couple of steep sections. I don't realistically think I'll make the summit at this point, but will push on as far as I can. Now, it's one mile, one milestone, at a time. Just want to reach the visitors center right now, which isn't too far. After that, who knows.

No comments: