An homage to my late grandfather, Mr. Wan Yao Huang whose publications include "The Reminiscences of Mr. Wan Yao Huang".

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Greetigs from Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Happy Mother's Day! Arrived in PNH yesterday morning. Flight was ok. Tracy got a window seat, but that stuck me in the middle. Would have preferred and aisle of course. Kei was at the airport to meet us with his friend, Nancy, who has a local hookup here. Checked in to a guesthouse and did a little bit of sightseeing: went to the Central Market where I decided to dive into the local food scene with both feet. Ordered some interesting drink from a vendor who spoke no English, so I just had her make something for me. A coconut milk base with cellophane noodles, some unidentified fruit, and ice. The ice worried me, but as I write this email, I have not had any digestive problems yet. Also ate a bowl of noodles with pork blood, and just about any other chicken part. I think I identified some chicken liver (maybe it was kidney as it didn't taste like liver) and maybe a heart. It was a curry base. Also tried a pan fried rice cake stuffed with chives.

Dinner was less interesting. We went to a Khmer restaurant recommended by Lonely Planet. It was ok, not amazing. Had some ice cream at a local shop later. I actually wanted shave ice, but orderd the wrong thing: "mixed fruit ice", which I assume would be ice, not ice cream.

I'll leave out the sightseeing of the former Khmer Rouge detention center, as it is rather depressing.

No comments: